The Battle of Station Four, Florida - Confederate Reports - Battle of Station Four, Confederate Reports
The following reports are from The Official Records of the War of Rebellion, Series One, Volume 49, Part One, pages
41 - 43.
Be sure to click here to visit our Main Page on the Battle of Station Four.

Report of Maj. Gen. Samuel Jones, C.S. Army, commanding District of Florida.
Tallahassee, February 17, 1865.

On the night of the 9th instant it was reported to me that the enemy had crossed from Cedar Keys and marched some
ten miles into the country, capturing some seven men of the cattle battalion. The next day they were reported in force at
Levyville, with infantry, cavalry, and artillery, and marching in the direction of Newnansville. I directed Captain Dickison, of
the Second Florida Cavalry, who had just returned from a most successful raid east of the Saint John’s, to endeavor to
get in the rear, and concentrated as large a force as I could at Newnansville. The enemy meeting, perhaps, more
opposition than they had anticipated, fell back, and were followed by Captain Dickison, who attacked them on the
mainland, near Cedar Keys; and though his force was outnumbered by the enemy by more than five to one, the enemy
retreated to Cedar Keys, after a sharp skirmish, leaving a portion of their dead on the field. Captain Dickison reports that
he killed and wounded between sixty and seventy, and captured a few, with very slight loss on his part. I have heretofore
frequently had occasion to report the gallant and valuable services of Captain Dickison and his command, and to
present the captain, as I do now, to the favorable notice of the Government.

Report of Capt. John J. Dickison, Second Florida Cavalry, commanding South Florida Forces.
Camp Baker, February 18, 1865.

…On the evening of the 9th instant, the day upon which I returned from an expedition on the east side of the Saint John’s,
I received intelligence that the enemy, in large force, had emerged from cover of their vessels of war at Cedar Keys, and
were advancing rapidly into the interior. Simultaneous with the reception of the above intelligence, a report, which I then
deemed correct, but which subsequently proved incorrect, reached me to the effect that the enemy was again making
demonstrations in the direction of the Saint John’s. This report prevented me from marching in the direction of Levyville
until the following morning, when, with about ninety of my cavalry, consisting of fifty-two men of Company H, Second
Florida, commanded by Lieutenants McCardell and McEady; Company B of same regiment, with eighteen men,
commanding by Lieutenants McLeod and Stephens; Company H, Fifth Florida Battalion, commanded by Lieutenants
Haynes, Brantley, and Haile, with twenty men; also Captain Lutterloh, of Special Battalion, with eighteen men, and the
following detachments of State troops, commanded by captains King, Dudley, Price, and Waterson, with about thirty-
seven men – making the whole 145 men, but only 120 were actually engaged, the remaining number being on picket
and holding horses – with one piece of artillery, I started in pursuit of the enemy. Not receiving any positive information
as to the precise whereabouts of the enemy, and my horses being very much jaded, and my officers and men fatigued
from being in the saddle for ten days and nights, we marched until we reached a point about five miles east of Levyville.
There I ascertained, by dispatching an advance guard, charged with the duty of following immediately in the wake of the
enemy, who was then retreating toward No. 4, where he had reached and was lodged, as he thought securely in his
stronghold. Early after the dawn of day, in the morning of the 13th instant, I again took up the line of march, and at 7 a.m.
the picket of the enemy fired upon my advance while near the Florida Railroad, at a point near the burnt houses known
as the Geiger house.

The engagement soon became general, and lasted for about three hours and a half, during which time the enemy was
defeated at all points; and the entire force, numbering about 600 in all, would have been slaughtered or captured but for
the fact that ammunition for my artillery and some small-arms was entirely exhausted. The enemy occupied a position
decidedly superior to that of ours, and although there was a disparity of numbers, in the ratio of five to one, the valor and
intrepidity and superior prowess of my command caused the enemy to be defeated. Immediately after I fell back,
induced, as I have stated above, by the lack of ammunition, and likewise on account of the fact that heavy re-
enforcements had reached the enemy from Cedar Keys, he left the field of battle precipitately, leaving a portion of the
dead and much plunder upon the field. With the loss of five men wounded, none mortally, we drove the enemy to Cedar
Keys, killing, wounding, and capturing about seventy of his number, recapturing all of the cattle, horses, wagons, &c.,
which they had stolen in their thieving expedition from the citizens in the vicinity of his line of march, all of which has been
returned to their proper owners. I desire to make special mention of the gallant and good conduct displayed by Lieut. T.J.
Bruton, commanding artillery, and the men of his command. Their conduct upon the field, under the most trying
circumstances, was all that I could have desired. Sergeant Cox, of company H, Second Florida cavalry (acting adjutant),
was conspicuous for his gallantry, and is entitled to the highest commendation for the efficient services rendered by him.
Indeed, the entire command, both officers and men, behaved in such a manner as to entitle them to the thanks of their
commanding officer and the plaudits of their countrymen.
Custom Search
Copyright 2011 by Dale Cox
All rights reserved.