St. Simons Lighthouse
The historic white tower of the
St. Simons Lighthouse is
said to be haunted.
St. Simons Island, Georgia - Historic Sites & Points of Interest
St. Simons Island, Georgia - Historic Sites & Points of Interest
St. Simons Island, Georgia - Historic Sites & Points of Interest
Christ Church on St. Simons Island
The beautiful island on the Georgia Coast is the
setting for a variety of historic sites and landmarks,
including beautiful Christ Church.
History and Stunning Scenery
A jewel of the Golden Isles, Georgia's historic
St. Simons Island is the setting for an array of
historic sites touching every era of Georgia
history.

Native Americans who called themselves the
Guale lived on the island when Spanish
explorers and missionaries arrived during
the 1500s. St. Simons offered land that could
be farmed to produce food and this led to the
establishment of missions on the island.
Efforts to convert the Guale to Christianity
continued for many years, despite revolts and
other disasters.

In 1733 the island became a focal point of
James Oglethorpe's successful effort to
establish an English colony in Georgia. The
famed general built
Fort Frederica and Fort
St. Simons there to serve as a defensive
bulwark to protect his fledgling capital of
Savannah.

With the outbreak of the War of Jenkins' Ear,
Oglethorpe used St. Simons Island as a
base for his campaigns against the Spanish
in Florida. His attacks on St. Augustine failed
and in 1742 the Spanish retaliated. Fort St.
Simons was captured, but the British won
victories at
Gully Hole Creek and Bloody
Marsh to successfully defend Fort Frederica.

Oglethorpe's victories on St. Simons assured
British control of Georgia and opened the
door for the modern development of the
state. John and Charles Wesley preached to
the early settlers and their legacy survives
today in the form of Christ Church near Fort
Frederica.

Although Oglethorpe's town of Frederica
faded when the British military finally left the
island, St. Simons remained occupied by
planters and settlers who opened fields and
used slave labor to cultivate sea island
cotton and other crops. A lighthouse was
built on the former site of Fort St. Simons to
guide ships into the new harbor at nearby
Brunswick.

Confederate troops planted artillery and built
a new fort at the lighthouse during the Civil
War, but withdrew from the exposed
positionbefore it could be attacked.
Confederate and Union veterans now rest
side by side at the Christ Church Cemetery.

The ghosts of the past can be felt everywhere
on St. Simons Island, but according to some
a real ghost or two rise there as well. The
best known of these is the ghost of the St.
Simons Lighthouse. Said to be the restless
spirit of a former light keeper, the ghost has
been reported since the late 19th century.
The island today is a beautiful resort and
residential area. Easily accessible from the
mainland by the Torres Causeway, St.
Simons offers accommodations, dining,
beautiful bike and walking paths, the historic
village and waterfront and an array of historic
sites and landmarks.

Just across the sound is Georgia's famed
Jekyll Island, once a playground of the rich
and famous and now a beautiful resort area
with historic charm and miles of wide open
Atlantic beaches.

The area of the ocean off St. Simons and
Jekyll Islands is the spawning ground of the
North Atlantic Right Whale. In fact, the sound
dividing the islands was once known as the
Bay of Whales.
The Village on St. Simons
The historic village area is
popular for browsing and
dining. It adjoins beautiful
Neptune Park and the island
waterfront.
The "Bay of Whales"
The area off St. Simons is the
spawning ground of the North
Atlantic Right Whale.
Fort Frederica
A historic colonial fort built by
the English, Fort Frederica
still stands guard over the
island's shore.
Custom Search
Copyright 2011 & 2013 by Dale Cox
All rights reserved.

Last Updated: January 2, 2014