Tree-Covered Mound
The surviving mound was part
of a large complex that also
included a palisaded town.
Coosa River
The large mound overlooks
the Coosa River. The name
was in use as far back as the
1540s.
Mississippian Mounds at Fort Toulouse - Wetumpka, Alabama
ExploreSouthernHistory.com - Mississippian Mounds at Fort Toulouse
ExploreSouthernHistory.com - Mississippian Mounds at Fort Toulouse
Indian Mound at Fort Toulouse, Alabama
The ancient Mississippian mound at Fort Toulouse-
Fort Jackson State Historic Site is one of at least
three that originally stood at the park.
Ancient Indian Mound Site
Archaeological research at Fort Toulouse-
Fort Jackson State Historic Site in Alabama
has revealed traces of Native American
presence dating back thousands of years.

The strategic location of the park on the point
of land formed by the confluence of the
Coosa and Tallapoosa Rivers made it a
natural crossroads. Not only were the rich
bottomlands ideal for farming, hunting and
gathering, the confluence of two rivers made
the site an important crossroads for trade.

In around A.D. 1000, an important town of the
Mississippian era began to grow on the site.
The Mississippian culture, so named
because it spread east and west from the
Mississippi Valley in around A.D. 900, was
one of the most significant prehistoric
cultures in the Americas.

The area around the confluence of the Coosa
and Tallapoosa Rivers was the location of a
major chiefdom during the Mississippian
era. When Hernando de Soto invaded the
region during the 1540s, but this chiefdom
was known as Talisi.

Talisi eventually became Tallassee, one of
the major towns of the Creek Nation and the
name is still preserved today in the form of
an Alabama city.

The exact name of the town site preserved at
Fort Toulouse-Fort Jackson State Historic
Site is not known and it is unclear whether it
was still occupied at the time of Hernando de
Soto's presence in the region. During its
occupation, however, it was a major site.

The town included at least three earthen
mounds, one of which can still be seen, and
was surrounded by a palisade or fortification
to protect the inhabitants from attack by
enemy chiefdoms. The survivors of the De
Soto expedition described similar palisades
at most of the Indian towns in the area.

The surviving mound can be seen by
following the walking trail at Fort Toulouse-
Fort Jackson from the main parking area
near the visitor center past the partial
reconstruction of Fort Jackson. The tree-
covered mound is located a few hundred
yards beyond the fort.

A partially reconstructed Creek village can be
seen near Fort Toulose, the other fort on the
grounds.
Relic of Ancient Times
Archaeologists believe the
mound was built in around
A.D. 1000.
Site of the Palisaded Village
The large open area adjacent
to the mound was the site of a
Mississippian village.
Custom Search
Copyright 2011 by Dale Cox
All rights reserved.