Cane Hill in 1862 - Canehill, Arkansas
ExploreSouthernHistory.com - Cane Hill, Arkansas in 1862
ExploreSouthernHistory.com - Cane Hill, Arkansas in 1862
The Battle of Cane Hill was an important preliminary action to the Battle of Prairie Grove, Arkansas, and was fought
through a series of three villages that were known collectively as Cane Hill (now Canehill). One of the most important
early settlement areas in Washington County and Northwest Arkansas, Cane Hill was a center for business, agriculture
and education.

As part of his report of December 25, 1862, Confederate General Thomas C. Hindman described the area as it then
appeared:


(The following is excerpted from the
Official Records, Series 1, Volume XXII.)

Excerpt from Report of Maj. Gen. Thomas C. Hindman

Headquarters First Corps, Trans-Mississippi Army
Camp near Fort Smith, Ark.
December 25, 1862

…Cane Hill is a ridge of perhaps 8 miles length and 5 miles width, in the southwest part of Washington County,
Arkansas, just beyond the north base of the Boston Mountains. Three villages are built upon it (Russellville,
Boonsborough, and Newburg), which almost blend with each other, covering a distance, as the road to Fayetteville runs,
of 3 or 5 miles…. The distance from Van Buren to Newburg is 45 miles. The intermediate country is a rugged and sterile
range of mountains. The roads across it are gathered at Van Buren, on the south side, and at Fayetteville, on the
northern. These places are from 50 to 65 miles apart, according to the route traveled. There are four principal roads;
one bends to the right and east with the valley of Frog Bayou, crosses the mountains, then follows the West Fork of the
White River and strikes Fayetteville from the southeast; another, known as the Telegraph road, proceeds for the most
part upon ridges directly north; the third leaves the Telegraph road 12 miles above Van Buren, runs along the Cherokee
line to Evansville, and there branches through the Cane Hill country to Fayetteville, its main branch going north, by
Cincinnati and Maysville, to Fort Scott; the fourth turns to the left from the Telegraph road at Oliver’s, 19 miles above Van
Buren, follows the valley of Cove Creek to the foot of the mountains, and, after crossing, passes through a succession
of defiles, valleys, and prairies, reaching Fayetteville from a southwesterly direction. At Morrow’s, 15 miles above Oliver’
s, the Cove Creek road sends a branch direct to Newburg, 7 miles distant. Eight miles above Morrow’s it is crossed by a
road leading from Hog-eye, 5 miles east on the Telegraph road, to Newburg. Two miles beyond this it sends a branch
to Rhea’s Mills, to Maysville, which crossed the Cane Hill and Fayetteville road at the distance of 2 miles from the Cove
Creek road. This crossing is 7 ½ miles from Newburg and 12 ½ miles from Fayetteville. Two miles and a half above this
crossing the Cove Creek road and the Cane Hill and Fayetteville unite. There is a road from Newburg, by Rhea’s Mills,
to this junction, the distance by that route being about 2 miles greater….

(From Maj. Gen. Thomas C. Hindman to Lieut. Col. S.S. Anderson, Assistant Adjutant General, Trans-Mississippi
Department).
Custom Search
Copyright 2011 by Dale Cox
All rights reserved.